AS09A75
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
AS09A75

AS09A75

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

My Motorcycle Won't Start!! What Now_2

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

My Motorcycle Won't Start!! What Now_2 Empty
PostSubject: My Motorcycle Won't Start!! What Now_2   My Motorcycle Won't Start!! What Now_2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2011 7:05 pm

conditions out of 10 exactly why your bike won't start is usually because the battery condition or unfastened connections. A charging system failure is not as likely but is still attainable.
I will talk about both advisors here.
First look in your battery connections. Check for obvious and easiest to refurbish problems first. A loosely connection, poor ground for example. will likely cause intermittent operation of your starting and charging models. If you find a loose connection and/or rust, clean the connections using a wire brush.
Before re-attaching apply slightly grease to the contact points. The grease helps to prevent some of the white corrosion residues developing around the battery terminals.
Attempt to start her up at this time. You still have a dilemma? Go down to the mall and get yourself a small electric multimeter. (Make sure it's got both AC and DC volt features, as well as a continuity (or OHMS)function. Take out the battery and set it for a counter. Set your multimeter to help DC volts. Measure the Battery voltage by just placing the red lead around the positive and the Black within the negative.
The voltage read needs to be around 12. 5 volts (higher is OK) In the event the voltage is less than this perhaps it will indicate a poor power. Notice I say, 'may' here as the bike's charging system can be at fault. In this case the battery will probably be OK.
Confirm the fact that electrolyte level in each cell on the battery is good. Add distilled water and then cell's with a low level. (Obviously you cannot add water to the maintenance free battery) Command the battery overnight that has a slow charger only. Motorcycle batteries cannot handle a quick charge. Make sure the charger only charges at a rate of 2 amps or possibly less.
Install the battery and attempt to start her again. If she still won't go invest in a new battery and your problem will probably be fixed. If she starts and runs like a charm, then you have to understand why the battery moved dead. You need to measure the charging system.
With all the engine running, place the multimeter leads around the battery. Rev the engine slightly. The system voltage will need to rise with engine RPM. Any voltage of around 13. 5 to be able to about 14. 5 needs to be displayed. If the voltage visits constant and/or is carefully decreasing, or if a voltage rises above 16. 7 volts the charging system just isn't functioning.
What do one does now? You have to check two things. The Stator as well as Regulator. The stator tends to make an AC voltage. The regulator changes the particular AC to DC voltage and even maintains that voltage around the proper level.
The Stator is often checked with the Ohms function on the meter. Locate and eliminate the plug for the stator for the front of the motor block. You will see 2 to 3 pins inside.
Set that meter for low Ohms, plus measure the continuity between these pins. 5 Ohms or less is what you are looking at here. Set the meter to your highest setting. With 1 lead along with a metal part of bike search for continuity to each pin. You meter should go through infinite, or no continuity. If these tests consider then your stator is fine. If there is a fault in these tests, then see your current dealer
The regulator is a easiest of all to evaluate. The regulator is created from solid state electronics and can't be opened. Replace the regulator if devices on the charging technique checks out or should there be an overcharging situation.
On most Harley's you simply won't know if the charging system is beginning to fail. The evidence shows up in case you have dim lights or this lady just won't start. There are aftermarket accessories that you may install on your bike that will tell you the current state from the charging system.
Save yourself on the cost here!! With a simple multimeter on the market from any Electronics parts store you'll be able to troubleshoot your charging process and check your battery and most likely repair any troubles yourself.
Keith Nivon is undoubtedly an avid Harley Davidson Street motorcycle Enthusiast! His website contains home elevators all things Harley Davidson. http: //www. everything-harley-davidson. com is a fantastic resource for anyone so, who shares a passion pertaining to Harley Davidson Motorcycles. Consider http: //www. everything-harley-davidson. com for additional information.
Back to top Go down
https://as09a75.forumotion.com

My Motorcycle Won't Start!! What Now_2
Page 1 of 1